Monday, October 18, 2010

Design Wall Monday #38

Not a lot of sewing got done around here yesterday, but there were a few minutes to play at the design wall with my blocks from this class with Bonnie Hunter. The pattern is called "Blue Ridge Beauty" but I'm calling my quilt "Plaid Beauty" and using up all my old homespuns. Some of the fabrics were purchased at a store called Miller's, which has been closed for at least 10 years!!
This is my "no brainer" project that I pull out to work on just to relax. I have a lot of the units (4 patches and HST's) made up and just enjoy sewing the blocks together in a totally random way.
How big will the quilt be? I don't know...I will keep making blocks until I run out of my collection of old plaids!

This is layout A...the first arrangement I tried on the day of the class.

Notice the tiny 4 patch blocks I made to use up even the smallest of my plaid scraps?! So cute!




















This is layout B... making the HST's form a diagonal line.






Then I tried a double diagonal layout with the HST blocks which gives a stronger diagonal. This is layout C.








This is the layout that Bonnie has on her website photo and in her book.
Would you call this a "barn raising" design if these were log cabin blocks??
Today I'm calling it layout D.






And here is another one the I accidentally discovered which look a bit like flying geese!
This is layout E.

So which one is your favorite?
Please leave me a comment and vote for the layout that you think works best with these blocks.

And then you can go visit Judy's blog and check out the other design walls that are posted for our enjoyment!

31 comments:

Tamera said...

How fun! Lots of beautiful layouts.

Sally Hamilton said...

I love the comfortable and snuggly look of these homespuns.

Chris said...

Lots of options. I really like the first photo :)

Judy D in WA said...

I think this is fabulous and so homie looking! I would love to snuggle under any of these designs.

Jo said...

I am thinking A or D. I'm a barn raising gal..

Anonymous said...

I think I like "A" the best. I may have to try that layout when I finish up my blocks.

Kathie said...

all beautiful layouts and I really like the look of the homespuns.

Helen in the UK said...

Who knew there were so many options on the layout front?!? I'm liking A first, then D. Have fun playing :)

Vicki H. said...

I am a barn raising type myself and D is my favorite. I love the movement. A is great too. Have fun choosing!!

AnnieO said...

Layout A reminds me of the quilt I made my DH, so I like it a lot. But Layout E with the zigzag is my favorite! Fun, fun fun plaids.

secinor said...

I like A!

The Cozy Quilter said...

A is my favourite. 2nd choice is the barnraising layout. Those plaids are looking great in these blocks!

Bonnie said...

Kathy -- I like design E. You just don't see many quilts set that way with these blocks... I'm going for different!

Gina said...

I like A. You can keep making blocks for that layout for ever

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Julie S said...

I like A a lot, but I think I like E even better, as I have not seen this block set in the E pattern before!

Unknown said...

I like C, but think I would go with E as it's very unusual and unique!

Susan said...

I must confess that I prefer D but then it is your quilt so you do what you like best.

How good it must feel to be close to being finished.

Jerzydeb said...

My favorite is A, but I like them all ! Lots of work went into those blocks - can't wait to see what you decide !

Karen said...

I really like scrappy plaid quilts.

Angie in SoCal said...

Ooooh, I like all of those setting!

Heather said...

I like C.

I have an award for you at my blog.

Elly D said...

I like D and E :)

Gari in AL said...

I think I like D but I also am fond of E. It would be difficult for me to decide.

Barb in Mi said...

Looking great! I am opting for D,but would move the middle off center (if that makes any sense). It will look beautiful in any way - whichever option you choose!

Cathi said...

Oooh -- it's hard to choose a favourite! I'm intrigued by E but I really really like C. Whichever way you set them, it's going to look fabulous!

Trish said...

I like A. My eyes kept going back to this layout! I would look at B and then back at A, Looked at the next, Kept going back to A. !!

Diane said...

oh my you could just play with those for ever!
love the plaids.

Vivian said...

You and Bonnie don't make this easy, they all look great, love your homespuns and I love her designs.

But if I've got to choose (and forget about choosing just one) I have to say I like the C: Double Diagonal and E: Flying Geese because both are new to me unique layouts.

What a good dilemma to have!

Charlene S said...

I love A and C and really can't make a choice.

Dresden Quilter said...

I really like Layout E.

Kate said...

My vote would go to layout A. I love your plaids.