Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Try it on Tuesday - Hera Marker

I have been hand quilting one of my favorite projects... a red and white quilt called "Quilter's Blessings". For a long time I was researching how to mark my quilting lines on the white fabric. Every store and quilter I asked had a different recommendation, and many horror stories to share about various products that didn't ever wash out. 
My favorite methods of quilting a straight line have been either using a pencil (Sharpwriter) or masking tape. I decided to try the Hera Marker on this project which is mostly white, and I didn't want to take the chance of any marks remaining.
The first review I read for this tool was on Tonya's blog, and I was reminded of how the tool could be used when I read Debbie's post
Then I had to find the darn thing in my sewing room!
It is an easy-to-use tool and together with my 1" x 6" ruler I can easily mark my next quilting lines.
Can you see the quilting line?
It just makes an indentation on the fabric so that you can stitch a straight line.
The only downside of using this tool that I have discovered so far is that you need to place the quilt on a solid surface/table to get a decent crease that you can see. So you can't easily "mark as you go" when you have the quilt on your lap. And I'm not sure how long the marks stay if you tried to mark the whole top before you start quilting. I will have to test that out.
If you have a hand stitching blog post to add to my Sunday Stitching linky party click here. If you want to see more "Try it on Tuesday" posts, hop over to Jo's blog.
Happy Stitching!

8 comments:

Janet O. said...

Interesting concept. When I hand quilt large quilts they are in a standing hoop frame. I don't know how that would work in such an arrangement. But I can see the line well on your quilt. Makes a nice, straight guide.

Diane H said...

I really like using my Hera marker.
Good question about how long the marks stay - will have to test that. Your quilt looks lovely.

Jeanne said...

That's my favorite tool for marking straight lines, too.

Darlene said...

I'm glad you found the tool in your sewing room; especially since you had fabulous success.

I tried one a few months ago and didn't have much success. It was probably 'operator error'. LOL

audrey said...

I've heard good things about the Hera Marker. Keep us updated on the results!

JoQuilter said...

Way back when I started quilting we were still using plastic templates to mark around when you needed odd shaped pieces; i.e. diamonds or equalateral triangles. At that time they were making sandpaper boards. It's a piece of masonite with find sandpaper on one side. Mine is 11" x 15". It is the perfect thing to put on your lap and mark your quilt as you go. Check with your lumberyard and see if they have any masonite. You don't need the sandpaper.

Carrie P. said...

I use a hera marker on all my straight line quilting. It is one of my favorite tools.

Mina said...

I have heard about the hera marker and want to try one. For straight lines, I use blue painters tape