Sunday, August 19, 2012

Slow Sunday Stitching

I had a great day last weekend at the Fergus Scottish Festival. Virginia of Undercover Quilts let me join the hand quilting bee at the Heritage tent, and it was the best afternoon I have had in a long long time. 
"Why?" you may ask.
1) There was a beautiful quilt to work on, that just happened to be in the colours that I am currently using for my bowl with borders project (for my blog hop post on August 25th).
2) There were lots of visitors, and some who just couldn't resist reaching out to touch the quilt...I loved that! Maybe these little ones are the quilters of the future!?
3) There was great entertainment in the Heritage tent, organized by Judith Eckhardt (who did a wonderful job). And if you love Scottish music, which I do, it was just heavenly...hand quilting while listening to great music, and visiting with other quilters!

4) Besides the quilting bee, there were a lot of other hand work specialties to enjoy and such creativity to soak up! The spinners and weavers were there, and I enjoyed watching them.
There were also knitters and embroiderers. 


And look here...
bobbin lace makers! 
If I wasn't so in love with quilting, I would take up bobbin lace making for sure!
And look who I found! This is my friend Pat, whom I have known for many years. She was demonstrating bobbin lace making in the Heritage Tent. I found out that Pat is a daily reader of my blog, (which may border on stalking, right Pat?!)  She was too funny...she said she reads my blog every morning and is really mad  disappointed if I don't write something every day! LOL You made my day even more special Pat!
5) And did I mention the great music?!?
It is tradition that at the end of the festival, the Fergus Pipe Band comes to the heritage tent and gives everyone one last concert.



Can you see in this photo that it just poured down rain for a bit?? 







And the band played on! 







And the quilters stitched on!
This is the block that I was quilting.  I was able to finish half of the block's crosshatching and enjoyed making every single stitch!
It was a great day!


What have you been stitching this week?  
Thanks to the eight bloggers who linked up to the Slow Sunday Stitching post last week and showed us a wide range of projects they are stitching. 



All bloggers who link up are eligible to win the draw prize, which this month is a package of fruit and vegetable charms (for the fall harvest quilt you will make!) and a cute pair of scissors.
I hope you will post a link to your hand stitching blogpost below and show us your progress.

13 comments:

Amy said...

What a heavenly sounding day!!! (even despite the rain!)

The quilt is breathtaking; so much work into it, and now more love going into the hand-quilting. A simple cross-hatch is an excellent way to finish off the blocks. How lovely that you were able to take part.

Okay--- my goals for today: I MUST finish off two bindings (with MACHINE though)... so I'll see what I can whip up for handwork today. I'll increase those 8 bloggers to NINE this week ;)

((And I'm also admitting to be a stalker! I never miss a post))

Angie said...

Enjoyed your report on the Scottish festival - it sounded like a wonderful way to pass the day! I have never attended any Scottish heritage event, but now I'm inspired to attend something locally.

Marla's Crafts said...

A friend of mine just finished piecing her dresden plate quilt. It took her six years. I wanted her to learn something easier but she was determined to do this one for her daughter. She should receive it for Christmas.

Judy D in WA said...

What a fun day you had. The quilt is gorgeous. Bobbin lace intrigues me and scares me at the same time. Such beauty. Thanks for sharing your day.

I'm a daily stalker to. :)

Cathy said...

So much fun! The quilt is just lovely!

Cathy said...

Looking at the quilting on the Dresden Plate piece has made me miss doing hand quilting. I have a quilt as you go piece hanging around here that maybe I'll dig out........

Teresa in Music City said...

Oh my gosh Kathy - what a fun day!!! I love all things Scottish and especially the bag pipes. I would have so enjoyed seeing the ribbon making and spinning! Such time-honored crafts. Thanks for sharing your day with us along with the beautiful hand stitching on that lovely Dresden quilt =^..^=

Kate said...

Looks like a very fun day. Stitching and music, that's a wonderful combination.

scraphappy said...

The bobbin lace making looks beautiful, but frightening at the same time. It looked like a great day all around. Beautiful quilting, looks like you got quite a lot done.

Deb A said...

Ohhh. I love that quilt and the quilting on it is amazing. I can only hope I can do that so tiny and perfect so year..... in a long while! The day sounds like so much fun. Thanks for sharing. Oh - I'm stalking you daily too! Sounds like there are quite a few =).
Still slow stitching away on those QSAB's but I really need to prep some applique.

Carrie P. said...

what a fun way to spend a day. love that quilt and bag pipes.

audrey said...

Sounds like a great day! The quilt is lovely.

Amy said...

LOL! You'd think with THIRTEEN hours of sewing, that I would have fit in SOMEthing hand-wise.
Nope.
LOL.
Thanks for the linkup though---it's a fun way to come across new blogs :)