Thursday, October 17, 2013

Finishing the Pumpkin Seeds


Since the Featherweight machine is not recommended for machine quilting, and the feed dogs cannot be lowered, I decided to do the machine quilting on the Pumpkin Seeds quilt with my Brother 1500 machine.



I quilted a stipple pattern in the middle and tried to make pumpkin seed shapes on the borders. 


It was fun and things were going well until I remembered that I was not considering the 1/4" seam of the binding, which covered up much of the edge quilting. See what I mean? 
The binding covers up the edge of the quilting design.
Oh well...I hope I remember this the next time I try this quilting idea!



Here is my finished "Pumpkin Seed" quilt hanging on my clothesline. It measures 18.5" square. I didn't put a hanging sleeve on it since it is going to be a tabletopper on my dining room table.




Here is a very resilient Morning Glory in my backyard that wanted to be part of the photo shoot today. So pretty and still flowering in mid October!  
Many thanks to Cheri for a fun quilt-along.

16 comments:

julieQ said...

What a very pretty finish!! I love that color; one of my favorites. Your morning glory is so pretty, it reminds me of our farm as a child.

FeatherDuster said...

Beautiful little quilt.

I think it looks great without those quilted curves that were cut off by the binding. I think I actually prefer that open look with no curves at that edge, especially since the quilt is so small.

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish! Very pretty. I love the blue with the orange in your border.

Dolores said...

That was quick. Love the colour of Morning Glories.

beaquilter said...

looks great! the curves, I often forget too that the binding covers it, so I try to keep away from the edge 1/4" to 1/2" depending on design.

Janet O. said...

Wow, you crossed that finish line quickly! I'm still deciding if I can squeeze that project in between the lines!
So very cute, Kathy! Maybe I will just need to enjoy yours!
When I think ahead enough to remember that binding edge, I draw a removable line (chalk pen or water soluble marker) along the edge where the binding fold will come. Very helpful--if I remember!!. Believe me, I have done my share of quilting into the binding!! : )

Sheila said...

Love the quilting and the colors in this wall hanging.

Doniene said...

Turned out just lovely!! A perfect table topper!!! Lovely photos, too!!

Have a great day!

The Slow Quilter said...

You have done a great job on the quilting and I just love the quilt.

Raewyn said...

It is really lovely!! Both the quilting and the colours/design. Doesn't it look great with the aautumn leaves as a backdrop?Congratulations on the finish!!

Bonnie said...

Very nicely done. And great photography too. I clicked on the finished quilt and a lot of detail became visible. Love the purple morning glory in front of the quilt.

margaret said...

this will look great on your table

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

How pretty this is! Lovely pattern and quilting and it is so vibrant ! Perfect for fall.

sandi s said...

I love your quilt and your quilting. Hugs, S

Lori in South Dakota said...

the tree made a lovely backdrop for your quilt.

Grandpa Ott morning glories? Mine are so late this year--barely blooming and now they're going to freeze.

Mary said...

You made me sew some Pumpkin seeds today...Thanks for inspiring me.