Sunday, April 12, 2015

Slow Sunday Stitching




Yesterday was spent basking in the creative brilliance of Ricky Tims. 

Yep, he came to Canada (from "South Canada") making 3 stops so far, and is travelling on to St. John's Newfoundland to meet the quilters there on Tuesday. I just know he is going to love it there, and they will love him.
This is the syllabus that Ricky used for his master class. He taught so many quiltmaking techniques by lunch time I thought my brain might explode! 

Louise and Ricky


I cannot say enough effusive things about the whole experience of being with him. He is a great quilt teacher with a fabulous sense of humour, a captivating storyteller, and a brilliant musician. He spent every extra bit of time at this table endlessly signing books, and taking photos, and talking with the 
quilters.




In the evening, he treated us to a wonderful concert and more entertaining, hilarious, and moving stories. It was inspiring and enlightening, and I feel so blessed to have been there.

Life Is Beautiful Block #4



So today I have a Ricky hangover, and I am tired from too much sensory overload - what a great problem to have!

I need some Slow Sunday Stitching. I have finished block #4 for my Life is Beautiful quilt, which is certainly a perfect block to have sewn this week.





I played with the variegated threads to emphasize the words love and life, and the 3 apples on the tree. Maybe it's too subtle, but I know it's there!


What are you working on my slow stitching friends? Link up your blog post below and share your hand stitching project for today.



22 comments:

The Cozy Quilter said...

Looks like you had a fabulous time? I'm sure we will see a post or two about the class's . This week's embroidery message is a good one for all of us.

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It sounds like such a wonderful time and so much variety between quilting and music and story telling ! :)

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Sounds like a great time and very informative! Love the thread variation on the words!!!!!

Bees Knees Granny said...

This apple tree block really speaks to me. Have you ever read Robert Frost's "After Apple Picking"? He describes looking back on our life, with our deeds being apples. Your block shows that our most important deeds are those done with love.
Cwoosley12@yahoo.com

KaHolly said...

Sounds like he's got it all! Nice to know when he tours, you get more than your money's worth! Your Life is Beautiful block is precious. I've always admired that pattern.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have plenty of projects to work on and almost all of them are by hand so I will have lots of slow stitching to choose from today - I had heard that when you have a Ricky workshop you get a concert as well.

SandraC said...

What a great experience you had!

For my Life is Beautiful, I think I'll borrow your idea of accentuating certain parts with strategic use of the variegated thread, if you don't mind! Actually, I need to prepare the next block, so I'll keep that in mind while making my choice!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What fun that had to have been. I like your idea of taking advantage of the floss variegation. So creative.

Kate said...

Sounds like it was a wonderful class. Beautiful stitching on your Life is Beautiful embroidery. Hope you get in some good stitching time today.

Denise :) said...

That is so cool! He's such a fun personality -- I love watching him on TQS! :)

Cathy said...

Wish I was there.
I love variegated thread on anything. I like your accents.

sophie said...

Some years ago I spent two days with Ricky Tims ... and I know what you mean. He's a fabulous quilter, but, I think, an entertainer first which makes for a great seminar or workshop. I have a retreat hangover today, which is a lesser thing, but will be looking for some handwork to enjoy while I wind down later tonight. I also love your use of the variegated floss. That is going to be a sweet project.

CathieJ said...

Block #4 is very pretty. I love your use of variegated threads.

Sarah said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic time. I have Ricky envy! I have made his convergence quilt which was very satisfying. Love your variegated thread by the way its going to look fantastic!

Created by Kathi said...

So glad you enjoyed seeing Tim! YOu are blessed to have had a full day with him like that :) I love your embroidery this week a lot! I noticed the changed colors of just those words too and was gonna ask as I thought you were manipulating it or using different colors... nice to take time and work so patiently and lovingly on a project.. Thanks for sharing that inside scoop too! Kathi

Turid said...

Your embroideries are so beautiful. And my stars got black, ha,ha. I don't know what happened to the picture, but the link is working at least.

Thelma said...

Ricky Tims is a marvelous teacher and quilt ambassador. I took a week long class with him, Alex Anderson, and Libby Lehman years ago when I first started quilting. I thought my head was going to explode too! I'm so happy your featherweight is up and running!

Missy Shay said...

How much fun that was!

Janet O. said...

Now you make me want to rethink my plan not to go see him when he comes here this year. But I can't afford it all and I am already planning to attend an event where Lisa Bongean and Marsha McClosky will be featured teachers. Why do they all have to be coming within a few weeks of each other?!?

Stephie said...

What a lovely post Kathy! So glad you had such a great time. And your variegated thread apples are just right, I spotted them before I knew! Beautiful stitching :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I was actually stitching binding down on Sunday. I've done 3 of 4 sides so far. Woohoo! No pictures, I was too busy stitching to take any.

Monica said...

No the highlights in your stitching are not too subtle, they are a perfect touch! You're doing a great job. :D