Sunday, March 27, 2016

Happy Easter!

Welcome to the Slow Sunday Stitching link up where we celebrate all the benefits of hand stitching. It's also Easter, which is a busy time for some families, so I hope you can find even a few minutes in between all the activities to pick up a needle and thread and put some stitches into a project you are working on.


It is not at all Easter or Spring like around here. We had an ice storm this week that closed the schools, and shut off our power. Just look at the poor daffodils!  But it's still perfect weather to stay indoors for some slow stitching time.




I have been working on my Life Is Beautiful blocks this week. These are some of the embroidery blocks that are hand appliqued onto the 4 patch background blocks. When the fabric is cutaway from behind the circle, that piece is appliqued on the next blocks.



Here are those blocks... they have the cutaway circles appliqued to the centre of the 4 patches. 
The next step will be to start hand quilting these blocks, since the assembly is quilt-as-you-go.
But first I have to finish up the rest of the embroidery blocks.

This is the block I'll be finishing today.


What are your plans for hand stitching today?
Link up your blog post below and share how you are celebrating Easter and what you are hand stitching today. 





17 comments:

Sarah said...

Your appliqué blocks look fabulous. I hope you have a lovely Easter.

Created by Kathi said...

I am loving your embroidery block this week.. love how you are appliqueing them and I love your other blocks too! This will be a fun quilt for sure :) Thanks for the linky party! Have a blessed Easter Sunday!!!! Kathi

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Looking awesome xxx

Jo said...

That's a really great idea.
No waste with this method. I'll have to remember it. Nice work...

The Cozy Quilter said...

I love when you show us your embroidery blocks! Very smooth curves! Happy Easter!

SandraC said...

I am so tempted to skip ahead to assembling some blocks on my Life is Beautiful!.....but not yet, I think.

Karen in Breezy Point said...

I'm so ready for the snow to be over--hopefully we will have warmer temps soon! Have a lovely Easter!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Love your blocks.

Chantal said...

I didn't realized your cut offs were appliqued onto more 4patch blocks. That is soooo cool and what a great way to repurpose fabric. Kudos to you! I plan to sit and stitch and gain a few more pounds with chocolate today but things around here never go as planned. Today is no exception as there is already no chocolate left lol. Maybe it's for the best. Shakespeare wouldn't like to have a chocolate stain. Have a great Easter Sunday! ;^)

Stephie said...

Happy Easter Kathy! Your poor daffodils...I hope they pick up again and bring you some sunshine soon. Love the re-use of appliqué backs - waste-not-want not :) (I've been doing that too with my Quilty365 blocks). Enjoy your embroidery today, it looks too cold to go outside.

cajunquilter said...

Happy Easter! We have a house full coming for lunch but I will absolutely be stitching after lunch.

Kate said...

Happy Easter! It's cold and rainy here today, at least we didn't get snow!

Ivani said...

No hand stitching time for me today. :(
I am in love with your Life is Beautiful project it will be a stunning quilt.
Happy Easter!

CathieJ said...

Happy Easter! I love the sentiment of the latest block. All the other blocks are looking wonderful.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

An ice storm!! No slow stitching for me either this week...but am enjoying the linky. :)

Barb said...

happy belated Easter - great blocks. we're getting winter temps here in CT too.

Deanna W said...

We didn't get the ice but just snow and more snow and our lights stayed on!! But you are right more time for hand stitching. Going to the hunt camp to make maple syrup and will get lots of knitting done.