Sunday, March 20, 2016

Slow Sunday Stitching



Welcome to Slow Sunday Stitching where we celebrate the wonderful world of hand stitching. Take a big deep breath, pick up your needle and threads, and enjoy some relaxing moments today. 


The 1st Life Is Beautiful block

A big thank you to everyone who offered ideas and creative solutions to my scissors question last Sunday. I was fascinated by the comments and feedback. My plan is to borrow some applique scissors from a quilty friend so I can give them a test run before I make a decision. In the meantime, I will plod along carefully, in typical slow sunday stitching style using my regular scissors.

On Friday night some quilting friends came over to sew and my friend Sandy brought some of her Life is Beautiful blocks to show us. It is so fun to be working on this hand embroidery project at the same time together. I am using variegated red thread and Sandy is using variegated blue. Here are our blocks together on the design wall. 

Won't it be fun to have sister quilts that are similar and yet completely different?
Today I will be finishing the binding on a quilt while complaining about the end of Downton Abbey. It has been my practice to curl up with hand stitching every Sunday night and watch the adventures of the Crawley family household. I am embarrassed to admit how much I miss them already. 

What are you hand stitching today? We would love to see your slow progress and hope you will link up your blog post below.



10 comments:

Sarah said...

Good idea to borrow some scissors to try first, especially as its an expensive investment. Its lovely to see the Life is Beautiful in a different colour, but red work wins every time for me! I know what you mean about Downton Abbey, such a brilliant series. You will just have to start watching the box set from the beginning again!

Wehago designs said...

Love your embroidery blocks and yes it is fun to make the same quilt but both do then different!

Deb @ Frugal Little Bungalow said...

It' so sad that this is the last season of Downton :(

Stephie said...

I've never watched Downton - I think I'm one of the few! It's lovely to see the two same but different blocks together, and what wonderful slow stitches you've both made (unlike the hideous ones I've posted today!!) Have a great day Kathy :)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I will get some binding on today and start the hand stitching.

Jennifer said...

I had never watched Downton Abbey until this past winter when I watched all the episodes. OMG, I loved them and, like you, miss the Crawleys and all their staff. I'm also binding a baby quilt today that I will donate. No babies in my family right now.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

Kathy, shop around, those scissors are not expensive online, I found them for less than $20. I don't do applique, and I use them mostly for clipping corners, and trimming seam allowances. They are wonderful in that the fabric doesn't slide forward on the blade like it does with other scissors so they work well on small clipping jobs like trimming binding. I miss Downton too! I will hopefully get back to my slow stitching art project this week, and link up again soon.

CathieJ said...

I love the red/blue blocks. What a great pattern.

Ivani said...

It's is really difficult for me to choose one, because I love redwork but I love also blue colour. Oh my! both are beautiful. Good idea to borrow your friend scissors. hugs

Jeanne said...

I really miss Downton Abbey, too. The final episode had me laughing and crying. Although it was so sad to have it end, I was happy with how they did it.